The project name is “Styrian Employment Pact (STEBEP)” which takes place in Austria in the province Styria. The duration of the project lasts from April 2007 to December 2011.
The main objectives of the STEBEP are:
- Integration of employment as cross-section-principle in every policy field on provincial and regional level
- to secure and create jobs
- to obtain funding for the region
Establishing the regional structures beginning in 2000
Regional development associations were authorized with the coordination of the regional pacts by provincial partners. All regional pacts have a common basis structure, which was adapted for each region. In the first years there was a lot of work done in more coordination and linking of regional structures with provincial level. This was supported through evaluation of pacts.
- Connection of employment policy and regional development has worked out very well
- Regional pacts opens way to a broad network, especially to deal with specific regional needs and define regional strategies and measures
- Access to new/additional forms of financing via networking structures
- A established and good working partnership structure is a good basis to obtain funding for the region, e.g. from EU- funds, municipalities, entrepreneurs etc
- Network carries comprehensive know-how for planning and implementation of projects in the fields of employment and qualification
- Styria appears as the only province in Austria, where a two-level- structure was implemented successfully
Innovative character of STEBEP
It is important to establish a structure of multi-level-governance, the integration of NGOs and the implementation of Gender Mainstreaming. Furthermore the ongoing process of development with the support of external evaluation, monitoring, competence building is important.
Every region/area has its own structure and involved actors- so in every case the model of partnership has to be adjusted to the needs of the region. There is a good chance to learn from other partnerships and to use guidelines, experiences, etc. of good practice.
Sustainability and transferability
Very important is to take enough time for a good foundation of the partnership, this is a process of some years which brings the result of a good working cooperation culture, that culture is a long-term benefit for the whole region.