The registered unemployment rate in the Latvia in late April 2011 was 13.9% of the economically active population. Compared with March 2011, the unemployment rate has fallen by 0.5%. State Employment Agency records the beginning of April 2011 was 163,454, in late April – 157,857 unemployed. 6650 SEA registered unemployed in April in employment.
Relatively the lowest unemployment rate in April 2011, registered in Riga region – 10.5%, the highest unemployment was in Latgale region – 22.5%. Kurzeme region, the unemployment rate in April was 14.8% in Zemgale region – 15.4%, Vidzeme region – 15.7%.
State Employment Agency organizes different kinds of trainings to improve unemployed person skills or to prequalify them for up to date labor market needs and economical situation. Being unemployed include psychological factors too and such courses and activities can prevent a person from losing his job skills and good will to find a job. 38298 people in April of 2011 took part in State Employment Agency’s organized active employment activities. Such as:
• Training in job skills acquisition and maintenance, if the employer is a municipality (the Practice of municipalities)
• Professional training, retraining or a career in non-formal education and training at the employer
• Activities to increase competitiveness
• complex support activities
• Activities for certain groups
• commercial activity or self-employment
Whether one finds a job and how fast it happens mainly depends on a person, but still government policies play major role in this process. Successfully organized and useful activities accelerate this process and helps for those who are not active enough.